Chapter 1.45: Breakthrough

Valentine



"Umm, I don't know. I wasn't there when my papa died. Why are you asking all these questions?" Serene asked me. I couldn't really tell a ten year old that I wasn't sure why her father died. Hell, I couldn't tell her anything because I didn't want her to say anything to anyone. The last thing I needed was something to happen to Isobel's little sister.

"Just making sure everything in the case is all good to go," I said, smiling. I really hoped Serene isn't that bright, maybe my bullshit lie won't be seen through and I can convince her not to worry. "Really, I'm just doing my job. Rookie work, ya know?" I said.

"So, nothing new came up?" Serene asked. I had to admit I was surprised by her question, maybe she knew something wasn't adding up and she could help me. "You live with my sister right?" she asked.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Keeping her safe?" Serene asked.

"Doing my best," I said, smiling. This kid seemed to have a legitimate reason to worry, and for a second I almost came clean to her. Except I couldn't, because it was too dangerous.


"So, you're seventeen and doing drugs?" I asked the girl. This was my first interrogation and I was so nervous. It was even on a somewhat big case too, and man was I afraid of screwing up.

"No! I'm not doing drugs," the girl said. I didn't bother to remember her name, it wasn't job.

"Then what are you doing?" I asked.

"I ain't telling you nothin!" the girl spat at me.

"Look, I don't know bout you I've heard the stories of what goes in state prisons. Everyone gets fucked up, bad. If you talk, I can see about getting in a decent one at least," I said. It wasn't a lie, people get messed up in state prison.

"What?! Don't let me get sent to some low class prison!" the girl yelled.

After another hour of yelling back and forth, she finally gave in and told me some valuable information. It looked like she wasn't a buyer, she was one of several dealers and it was more than one drug. It was a specific toxin that I was looking into though that caught my attention, one that involved caused heart attacks and went unnoticed up until a certain amount of time.

"So this toxin, have you sold it to anyone say in the last year?" I asked.

"What? No! That shit is crazy, it will kill you! But I know the name of someone deals it," the girl said.

Comments

  1. Getting closer to the truth! I hope she finds out what Juniper did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed, Serene and Isobel deserve to know.

      Delete
    2. Iinteresting that a different case gave her info. She might actually solve who killed Serene's dad.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1.47: A Tragic Past

Chapter 1.22: Death's Rules