Chapter 1.08: Fishing With Toby


 "So, Isobel," Toby started with. Isobel, who had just caught herself a decent fish, looked over to him with a smile. She adored him. Toby had practically raised her before she learned to talk and walk. In many ways, he was the father she never got to have, but Toby was not her papa. "I know you probably have lots of questions for me, about your mama. So, go for it, ask them. There is no such thing as a stupid question," he told her. 

".... Why are you living with us?" Isobel asked. "I don't need a nanny anymore. Or a tutor, I'm on the All A Honor Roll!" she added. 

"Hun, your mama is very special to me. We've become such good friends, and we've grown really close. Isobel, does it upset you that I live with you?" Toby asked her. She had to think about it, really and truly think about it. Isobel thought of Toby as family, and she learned from her mama to treat family well.

"I'm not upset, I just don't know if papa would be okay with you living with us, you know? The angels needed him help, and he can't say no to God. You just can't, but I really wish he was here. I saw you and mama do something really icky! You kissed her," Isobel stated. She watched Toby's expression, it almost like he was hurt by what she said. Frowning, she looked to him with confusion.

"Isobel, I want you to understand something, okay? It's really important to me that you understand. I know I will never be your papa, and I know it seems like I am trying to replace him. I know it feels like that. But, I would never even try to replace him. Okay? I am so very sorry you never got to know him, he was such a generous person. I don't want to replace him. I don't want you to feel like I'm taking his place. You don't have to call me papa, or anything like that. Toby, or Tobs or any other nickname is just fine as you are okay," Toby said.



Isobel didn't say anything in return, there was silence. She understood what Toby had said, but it still felt like he was invading their home. It still felt like he was trying to be her papa, but hearing what he said made her feel sad. What if papa was watching?

"Hey! I think I caught something!" Toby said happily. She looked over to him and laughed as jerked up on the rod and pulled some seaweed.

"That's not a fish, silly!" Isobel said as she laughed.

"What? Don't you see the eyes and mouth? The fishy tail? Its a seaweed fish!" Toby said as he laughed. She watched as he tossed the 'seaweed fish' back into the water, laughing because he was just so silly. She was the master after all; he was just her student. "Come on, it's getting dark and we don't want your mama to worry. We both know what happened when you got back late during the camping trip," he said teasingly.

"Yeah. Hey Toby, can you promise me something?" Isobel asked.

"Sure, anything. Anything within reason," Toby said.

"Before you do anything icky with mama, can you ask papa? Oh, and you can live with us, just don't upset my papa," Isobel said.

"I will make sure the angels and your papa are good with me and your mama," Toby assured her.

"Good, because you can't upset God," Isobel told him.

Comments

  1. Hmmm...a new turn of events! Toby and Juniper. I'm glad he talked to Isobel to get her approval.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol @ literally everything Isobel said. She's worried about Toby upsetting God?! Kids really do say the darnedest things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1.47: A Tragic Past

Chapter 1.22: Death's Rules

Chapter 1.45: Breakthrough