Chapter 1.40: An Unlikely Conclusion


"So vampires, don't always attack humans?" I asked, trying to understand. Lilith nodded, she was being very patient with me. Also, she didn't try to bite me once! It could have been because I ate a ton of garlic earlier with my mama in our pasta.

"That's correct, sweet girl," Lilith said.

"So if you DON'T attack humans, how do you feed?" I asked her.

"Blood bags," Lilith replied simply. I stared at her, the vamps were drinking blood for bags? Wasn't that gross? I guess it's better than them attacking humans, and killing them.

"Where do you get these bags of blood?" I asked, not a hundred percent sure I wanted to know the answer to my own question.

"Some humans will volunteer to do this thing where they 'donate' blood, and that is where we get them. You can even order them online, and it is completely safe for people like you," Lilith explained.

"But what about the evil vampires?" I asked. Lilith smiled, and shook her head.

"I suppose it depends on your definition of evil," Lilith said gently.

"Blood sucking, red eyes and terrifying," I replied with. Lilith laughed, and my mama looked uncomfortable as she looked over at us.

"Well, child. All vampires suck blood as you put it just not from humans directly. And I don't recall seeing any red eyed vampires unless you woke them up from their midday nap," Caleb said, chuckling.

"So if I wake them up from their midday nap... they have red eyes?" I asked. Both the siblings laughed at my question and I looked down at my feet, now uncertain.

"No sweet girl, he was joking. Some vampires have an alternate form that they might have red eyes in but other than that I haven't met any red eyed vampires," Lilith assured me. I breathed a sigh of relief, this was good to know.

"How do you become a vampire?" I asked.

"That's not something you need to worry about," Mama said. I didn't miss the edge in my mama's voice or the look she gave them both.

"Your mother is right," Lilith said, and smiled. "Why don't you play some chess with Caleb while I talk to your mother?" she asked. I agreed, and got up to follow him to the chess table.


"I didn't mean to frighten you," Caleb said softly as I thought about my move. It took me by surprise, he was so nice! I didn't think vampires could be nice at all, let alone show any emotions but Caleb seemed so worried about me.

"It's okay, I guess I shouldn't be so gullible," I said. He smiled, and I smiled back.

"So tell me, what are you studying in school?" He asked me.

"Right now, I am studying lots of science. I really like earth science!" I said and told him all about volcano's and earthquakes, he nodded as I rattled off little facts. I got the feeling he was pretending to be amazed because he said earlier he studied science at multiple other universities before they moved here.


"Look over there!" I said, and smoothly switched some pieces around. I could have guessed he was just pretending to not know what I was doing. I really liked how both of them actually listened and explained everything to me.

"Ah ha! I think I have a go-" Caleb started to say but then stopped as he noticed the change. "Dang, I guess I was getting too ahead of myself," he said, shaking his head. I giggled and we continued to play.

Authors Note: I forgot to say who was talking in the last chapter, it was Isobel. This chapter is Serene. And I hope you all enjoy this chapter!

Comments

  1. I wonder if this new information about vampires will make Serene feel differently about them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1.47: A Tragic Past

Chapter 1.22: Death's Rules

Chapter 1.45: Breakthrough