Chapter 1.69: Blue Like My Tears

Maxine

I had gotten up early so I could talk to mom before school but mom wasn't home, she hadn't been home in three days and there was nothing to eat in the house anymore. I only had potato chips and crackers to eat at the house but they were gone now. 
I didn't understand why mom had to be gone all the time, but I knew better than to ask questions. I shook my head and got up from where I was sitting. Clean clothes was another problem, and my shirt had a stain on it. I quickly ran up the stairs to change before I had to meet Rylan outside to walk to school with and threw on something else to wear. I wrinkled my nose, this outfit smelled funny but at least it didn't have a stain on them.

I ran outside just in time to see Rylan walk over and waved at him. "Hey Ry," I said, smiling. He smiled back at me. "... Do you mind if I borrow one of your apples?" I asked, as my stomach growled loudly. Rylan's mom normally packed him a lot of snacks in case he got hungry.

"No problem, Maxie!" Rylan said, digging through his lunch bag. "Would a plum be ok? Mom didn't pack any apples today," he said as I took the plum.

"I love plums!" I said, and hugged him. I really did love them, and I couldn't have needed my favorite snack more than I did right now. "You're the best!" I said, right before biting into the most juiciest plum ever. 

"Well duh," Rylan said giggling. A few minutes later we met up with Kealyn and her mom who always walked the rest of the way with us. 

"Hey! Where did you get the plum from?" Kealyn asked, and I pointed at Rylan. "Can I have one?" she asked him. 

"Kealyn, you have your own snacks," Mrs. Folly said, but Rylan didn't care and gave her the other plum. "You didn't have to do that Rylan," she said, sighing. 

"I know but I wanted to," Rylan said. 

Oh Rylan... You really are the sweetest person I know....

A few minutes later we were able to see the school and Mrs. Folly hurried us into school before she had to leave for work. I was a little excited because we had our creative writing class today and I worked really hard on my poem.

Finally, time for recess and maybe I can ask Mrs. West for a dollar for the vending machines.

I was about to go back inside to ask when Wendy and her friend Faith came over to me. I smiled at them and waved as they came over. "Hey!" I said cheerily.

"Hi loser," Wendy sneered at me. I frowned, and shook my head. "What do you think you're doing? Mrs. West isn't going to give you a dollar," she said, laughing at me. I didn't understand why she had that attitude.

"That's alright, I can ask Mr. Trent for one," I said, trying not to get an attitude with them.

"You really are dumb! Listen, no one is going to give you a dollar. No one likes you and your smelly clothes!"  Faith said, glaring at me. "And stop playing with Rylan, everyone knows Wendy is his best friend," she sneered. 
"No, Rylan is my and Kealyn's best friend," I said, looking down. They both laughed at me, and Wendy got up in my face which I really didn't like. 

Rylan wouldn't share his plum with me if he weren't my best friend, right? 

"No stupid, he only plays with you because he feels sorry for you," Wendy said, smirking. I shook my head, she was lying. She had to be lying to me. 

"No! He's my best friend and you two are liars!" I yelled at them, tears beginning to stream down my face. Rylan must have heard because him and Kealyn came running over; he pushed through both Faith and Wendy as Kealyn wrapped her arms around me. 
"Hey Rylan," Wendy said sweetly. I wanted to punch her but I knew I would get in trouble if I did that.  "We were just talking to Maxine about some homework," she lied.

"Then why is she crying? You know this is why no one likes you Wendy. You're a bully!" Rylan said, glaring back at them. I cried into Kealyn's shoulder and she held me tighter, a little too tight.

"She was just upset about doing the wrong homework, you know she gets upset over anything," Wendy lied again. 

"She's lying! She said you weren't really my best friend!" I cried, and Wendy's eyes went wide. 

"You won't really believe that witch?" Wendy asked sweetly, and smiled at him. I couldn't believe her, was she really trying to lie to him? 

"She's not a witch, you are the witch!" Rylan yelled at her, which made Wendy cry and they both ran away.

"There, they're gone now. It's okay," Rylan said. I felt his arms wrap around us and I smiled a little. Hopefully they wouldn't bother me anymore, and I wouldn't need to worry about them. 



The bell had just rang signally school was finally over and I was gathering my stuff from my locker when Wendy walked over to me. I wanted to bang my head against my locker because this wasn't going to be good, nothing with her was good. "What do you want?" I snapped at her. 

"Oh look, you're all alone now," Wendy sneered. I shrugged, Rylan and Kealyn were probably getting their stuff from their lockers. Unfortunately, her locker was just a few over from mine. I tried to ignore her but she wouldn't stop bugging me. I was almost done getting my stuff together when grabbed my hair and I spun around in time for her to shove me backwards.
  
"Oh Rylan, now you're going to get in trouble!" I sniffled, but he just shrugged. He really was my hero most days, and I didn't know what I'd do if I didn't have him as my best friend. 



It was almost 10:00 PM and mom still wasn't home. I couldn't help the tears that came streaming down my face as I fell to the ground crying. I missed her even though she hardly talked to me, and I missed her brief but still sweet hugs she would give me. 
 "WHY?" I cried out into the empty house. I just wanted to know why I wasn't enough for her to stay here with me. Why didn't she care about me? I was sick of her empty promises and gifts she would give to make me feel better. I didn't want any gifts. I wanted her to love me, but I doubted she ever would. 

Maxine's Poem For Creative Writing


 

Comments

  1. Oh... that’s so sad! Poor Maxine. And Rylan is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1.47: A Tragic Past

Chapter 1.22: Death's Rules

Chapter 1.42: Who Are the Marinos?