Chapter 1.29: Catalyst

Serene had just gotten home when she heard a voice behind her and turned around to see who it was. The person who had called her name, or rather called out to her was the same hooded black figure she remembered seeing her mama talk to. "Who are you?" Serene asked, trying to act brave.


"Child, come with me," the hooded figure said. Her blood ran cold upon hearing its voice and her eyes narrowed. She didn't know this thing, or what it wanted but for some reason she didn't think it would hurt her.

"Tell me something first," Serene said. The figured nodded, and then waited for her to ask her question. "Were you the thing that spoke to my mama that day after my papa died?" she asked.

"I am but, child I am not a thing. I am a guide," the hooded figure said. "Anymore questions?" it asked.

"What kind of guide are you?" Serene asked. She felt better knowing that this figure wasn't dangerous, and was now curious about what it guided. More specifically, how was he guiding her mama?

"I guide the ones who need it the most," the guide side. "Now, ask me what you really want to know," the guide said calmly.

"Why were you guiding my mama?" Serene asked.

"Your mother made a bad choice, and she needed me to prepare her for what is to come. Your father needed me too, but for another reason and a reason you know if you look deep enough into your memory," the guide told her. "Now, come with me child. We have conversed enough for now, it is time for you to learn," the guide said and then came over to her.


"Alright, teach me," Serene said, and then everything slowly started fading away leaving just the guide and herself in this bright white space. She felt light, and kind of dizzy. Then there was this feeling, a  horrible feeling. It felt like she was falling, and she wanted to cry out but Serene couldn't find her voice. Her mouth opened but no sound came out, and tears ran down her cheeks as her breathing turned frantic.

"You're alright," the guides voice said. Everything began to fall into place, first walls started to appear, then large pieces of furniture and finally everything else fell into place.

"Where... are we?" Serene choked out. The guide placed a cold hand on her shoulder, and suddenly all her fear went away. It was easier to breathe, and she quickly sucked in as much air as she could.

"Breathe slower, or you could injure yourself," the guide told her. "Do you know where we are?" the guided asked. Serene shook her head, looking as they hovered in the air in this house or mansion or whatever it was.


"Who is she?" Serene asked. The guide shook his head, and looked to the woman.

"It is not who she is that is important. It is what she is," the guide told her. It didn't make any sense to her, she was human right? So why was she important? "You know what she is," the guide said calmly. "Allow yourself to see clearly," the guide said.

"I don't underst- AHHHH!"Serene yelled mid-sentence. Her head felt like it was about to explode, and her eyes widened as she looked at the woman. "What did you to me?" she asked, her eyes widening.

"I simply helped you see what was in front of you," the guide told her. "You're fear is the most blinding, it warps what is real into something that is not real. Fear makes the good into something bad, and then grows until it can no longer be contained," the guide told her.

"She's a vampire," Serene spat at him. "There is nothing good about her," she hissed. The guide shook his head, and pointed down at her as she walked over to the chess table followed by another vampire.

"Hey Lilith, I'm gonna beat you this time," the male vampire told the woman.


 "I doubt that brother, you are always one step behind me!" the woman said teasingly. The man laughed, and shook his head. What were they doing? Trying to fool everyone, but it wasn't going to work on her.

"They are just pretending," Serene snapped. The guide shook his head, and then pointed back at them.

"Aha, see I told you I was gonna beat you this time," the man said. Then his face fell as the woman made another move, and the cocky look on his face turned into a mopey one. "Ugh, I'll get you. Just wait," he said.Serene watched as the two vampires played chess, and how they interacted. They didn't seem evil or dangerous, they seemed.... human.

"They aren't hurting anyone," Serene said quietly.

"Correct, they are simply existing," the guide said calmly. "You're fear blinded you as did your pain from losing your father," the guide told her gently. She had to admit that these two vampires were rather nice from what she could observe.

"But what about the other vampires?" Serene asked.

"Child, this is a dangerous path you're about to embark on and it will be the catalyst for what is it to come. I have it seen what is to come, but I cannot make your choice for you. Just know, that your decision will affect a great deal," the guide side.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.28 Does He Know?




Comments

  1. So Grimmy was trying to protect her? Showing her that the vampires are just people trying to live their lives and not hurting anyone so she would give up her mission to find them? Or was he protecting the vampires? And I saw what you did there - the white light, feeling like she was falling and then the furniture and walls began to appear! HaHa! I was crying too the first time I had to constantly 'travel' in TS4! :) This was a great chapter though. I really enjoyed the dialogue. I wonder what she will do with this new information? I sort of thought he might tell her that her mother used to be a vampire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Grim-as-Guide in this story! I doubt Serene will listen to him, but I hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1.47: A Tragic Past

Chapter 1.22: Death's Rules

Chapter 1.45: Breakthrough